7/4/12

Precise Comes Out!


It was the summer of 1988. I was returning from a Muscular Dystrophy camp in Lake Villa Illinois. I was a counselor. It was so much fun. I learned a lot about myself. When camp was over all of the counselors would go to a bar called Fog Cutters. I had my first kamikaze there and tasted southern comfort for the first time. Everybody was so happy and drunk.

I caught a ride home with Julie because she lived in Beverly and it was close to where I lived. On our way home we talked about our lives and our dreams. I could feel our connection growing. Finally we get back to Chicago, and I ask her to take 103rd st because it would be quicker.

As we drive down 103rd st going east through Beverly I could feel the mood change. Julie was looking nervous and fidgety. She started sweating her eyes kept moving from side to side as if she was expecting something to happen. She was riding her brakes like crazy. Then I realized what was going on. She was scared. She had never been to my neighborhood. It was at that moment that I realized I was black.

Today I want to come out to the world as a Black Man. I know im going to loose a lot of friends, acquaintances, fb friend and twitter followers, but I had to do this for my sanity.

IM A BLACK MAN! I don’t care who knows.

-Precise

No comments: